Notice – Reminder: Use of Authorized Immigration Representatives

by | Aug 15, 2013 | News | 0 comments

News Source:

August 1, 2013 – If you use an immigration representative, make sure they are authorized to assist you.
Anyone who provides you with advice as part of an application or immigration proceeding must be an authorized representative.

There are two types of immigration representatives: paid and unpaid.

Paid representatives

  • lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society;
  • Notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec; and
  • Immigration consultants who are members in good standing of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council.

Unpaid representatives

  • family members;
  • friends,;
  • non-governmental organizations;
  • religious organizations.

On June 30, 2011, a new law concerning the use of representatives was passed. The aim of the new law is to protect applicants and to ensure that all paid representatives are qualified to assist in often complex immigration matters.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will not deal with non-authorized immigration representatives.

View a list of services that third-party immigration stakeholders and Visa Application Centres are authorized to provide.